Navaratri Gollu

October 15th, 2007 by Anand

For the many years that I have seen at my home, mom would setup the Gollu every year and celebrate [tag]Navaratri[/tag] with such pomp and flair. Things to do would be planned in advanced. Gift novelties would be purchased in advance to be given to the women folks visiting every evening. Dining tables, wooden planks, empty boxes would be used to make the 9/11 steps. Our home would be busy in the evening with people coming to visit the Gollu and taste the yummie yummie sundal that she used to make. We brothers always used to sneak into the kitchen and get our share of sundal earlier than the rest of the crowd.

After marriage, we got tagged to have [tag]Gollu festival[/tag]. Last year we picked up Gollu idols during our vacation to India and this year dear MIL mailed us a big box of more bommai for the Gollu. Initially I also planned to use my mom’s idea of using up the dining table , coffee table, books & empty boxes to make the shelf but me being an engineer and big fan of the HGTV, decided to make a wooden shelf.

After goggling to check if anyone sold Gollu shelf’s in the US or if anybody had blogged about making a shelf, the result was fruitless. My first year engineering drawing and [tag]AUTO CAD[/tag] certification came handy, made a 3-D picture of the shelf that I was planning to make along with the dimensions. Decided that it would be a weekend project, I headed to Home Depot. After roaming through the aisle’s of lumber section, I wasn’t sure what I wanted but I got a rough idea off how much the price of wood varied from 1-end of the aisle to another. I approached a gentleman who was quite friendly in explaining to me the various type of wood and what would be a easy [tag]DIY[/tag] project. Things started getting crystal. I decided on what wood I need.

[tag]Home Depot[/tag] is the place to be if you love doing [tag]home improvement[/tag] projects. I paged for a handyman and gave him the dimension. He picked up the straight piece of wood for the side frame, wooden plank and cut them according to my specifications.

So below is the list of things for DIY [tag]Gollu Shelf[/tag] @ home:

1. Power Drill( I already had it, if you don’t have it u could manage with a screw driver).
  2. Dry wall nails (the smallest box has 50 plus nails and cost roughly $5).
  3. Level meter (picked up a 3 feet level meter for $5.50).
  4. 6 no of 1X2X6 No 2 Wood (for the frame $8).
  5. 1 no of 1X6 No 12 Wood (for the platform $7).

Total cost of the project $26. Time taken 2 hrs. Check below to see the shelf.

[click here] to view the gallery.

on reader’s request design of the gollu padi

navaratri gollu padi

navaratri gollu padi

this is how compact the shelf is

closet footprint

Time to enjoy the [tag]Sundal[/tag] !!!

[tags]navaratri gollu stand, gollu stand in usa[/tags]

16 Responses to “Navaratri Gollu” »»

1. Comment by Aparna Radhakrishnan | 10/19/08 at 2:15 pm

golu padi idea was cool

2. Comment by Lakshmi | 10/16/09 at 7:21 am

Hi
    My name is Lakshmi and I am coming to your blog for the first time.Is that foldable ? or easy to store. Please let me know. my email id is *********@gmail.com

3. Comment by Aparna | 10/20/09 at 6:23 am

Yes it is very much fold-able & also very compact once you dis-mantle it.

4. Comment by Anand | 10/21/09 at 6:38 pm

On reader’s request, uploaded the design diagram(with measurements) for the golu padi. Good Luck !!!

5. Comment by anjana | 09/27/10 at 10:59 am

Hi
    Thanks a lot for the diagram.It is really very useful
    Anjana

6. Comment by Vidya | 09/30/12 at 10:08 pm

How do you fold it? By dismantling?

7. Comment by Krithi | 10/10/12 at 10:18 am

Hi Aparna
    Came across your site after searching for making Golu padi..
    Ur way seems the simplest so far .. Can you provide me step by step instructions on how to do it .. I have no hardware experience and this will be my maiden attempt.
    Thanks

8. Comment by Krithi | 10/10/12 at 11:03 am

I have a doubt with your second pictures.. it looks like there are horizontal planks on the floor .. whereas in your finished picture it is not there .. Am I missing something??

9. Comment by vandana craftsia | 10/14/12 at 11:16 pm

The golu padi post is so informative and nicely done..just what most people are looking for this time of the year. Happy Dussehara in advance.

10. Comment by Aparna | 01/02/13 at 2:52 pm

@vidya. Yes by dismantling. I will try to get a picture post dismantling. It’s very compact.
    @kirthi. The horizontal planks in pic 2 are the steps in pic 3.
    @vandana. Thanks. Yes. Every year we ourselves refer it ;-) probably we would upgrade to a bigger one this year.

11. Comment by Arvind | 08/05/13 at 2:58 pm

Hi Anand,

Do you have a plan for 7 steps and/or 9 steps. Appreciate if you can update.

Thanks in advance

12. Comment by Aparna | 08/18/13 at 2:14 pm

Hi Arvind.

We don’t have a design. In case we decide to go beyond step 5 then it would probably be a new support frame.

We Have planned for next year. Will update the blog.

-A

13. Comment by Sumitha Keerthivasan | 09/21/13 at 7:02 am

Hi

Could you pls let me know whether this kolu padi is foldable is yes how many steps will be there and how to fix it. What is the cost of the same and how to procure it in chennai. Pls let me know. rgds sumitha

14. Comment by Aparna | 09/29/13 at 6:25 am

Hi Sumitha

Yes its very much fold-able. It has 5 steps. The shelf is built and assembled by purchasing supplies from DIY style stores like HomeDepot, Lowes etc in the USA. Not sure how to build this in Chennai. thanks

15. Comment by Bhavana | 10/01/13 at 1:04 pm

Hey Aparna,

This just looks cool. How long did it take for you to build this and also is this fold-able? can you please add the pics of the folded version?

Happy Navarathri!
    Bhavana

16. Comment by Aparna | 10/04/13 at 3:59 pm

Thanks Bhavana. my husband purchased the wood piece pre-cut from the store (they charged roughly a $1 to cut everything). Once home just took less than 30 minutes to construct the shelf. Its very much fold-able. Will upload the pic shortly. Happy Navarathri to you too.